Thursday, January 27, 2011

And so, we enter day two. After yesterday I was seriously concerned that I was going to go twelve steps back after that lovely two steps forward.
This morning I woke again after a fitfull night of sleep. Rusty was snoring softly in the living room. That dog love's me, and he might just be the reason that I keep trying to smile. Last night, even though he hadn't eaten all day he wouldn't leave my side. He pushed his head under my hand so I'd pet him. He laid his head on my knee when I wouldn't pay him any mind. That little mutt wants his mommy laughing with him again.
And so, I made the coffee and entered the land of the living for one more day.
After a pot of coffee, and getting all of my stuff together I made it in to work. My work as a firefighter is a salvation. When you live with 8 other people 10 days a month you're going to laugh. You can't help it. My dad always used to say that when life got tough it was the simple act of physical work that could keep you going. The Firestation is living proof of that. There is comfort in coming in here in the morning when it's still dark to start the daily duties. I check out the BLS bag to make sure my medical supplies are all there. I turn on my airpack and put it on to make sure that my facemask fits and seals and that my alarm works. Then I check out the radios to make sure that the batteries are full. Finally, the engine gets a bath, and the act of making it shine helps me to get in the right place for the rest of the day.
And so it goes. Today is a blessing. Good heavy lift in the gym. Long lost friend called to say he was coming to visit, and tonight we just might catch a house fire.... It's all going my way, at least, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment